1. When is the food drive going to begin and end?
The It's Time for Kind Canned Food Drive begins on Thursday, December 1 and concludes on Friday, December 30.
2. What items are being collected?
Only canned goods are accepted at the Food Drive. You may donate items such as canned vegetables, soups, beans, chili, and fruit. Please do not contribute dry goods, perishable foods, or toiletries of any kind.
3. Where can I drop off my items?
You may donate canned goods at the locations listed above. A library staff member can direct you to the collection bins at each location.
4. When can I drop off my items?
Donated items may be dropped off during normal business hours. To view a schedule of library hours of operations, visit us online at queenslibrary.org/about-us/locations.
5. Where is the food going to be distributed?
Queens Public Library is partnering with the Food Bank for New York City to collect and distribute donations to a citywide network of food pantries, soup kitchens, and other programs serving communities and individuals in need of assistance. Food will be distributed to local organizations, agencies, and programs within Queens.
6. Can I donate dry goods, toiletries, or other non-perishable items?
No. We ask you to donate only canned food.
7. What should I do if I want to donate items other than canned goods?
Visit the Food Bank for New York City to locate nearby food pantries, soup kitchens, or programs accepting donations. Go to foodbanknyc.org for more information.
8. Can I donate expired or near expired items?
We ask that all donated items be at least one month before the expiration date. This will help to ensure that items are in good condition to consume safely.
9. Is it possible to drop off items at a Queens Public Library location before December 1 or after December 30?
No. Queens Public Library can only collect canned food items during the food drive period, which is Thursday, December 1 through Friday, December 30. If you would like to donate canned food or other items before or after the campaign, please contact the Food Bank for New York City at foodbanknyc.org.